Thursday, November 21, 2013

Changing Seasons by John Dersham




I always look forward to each changing season. It is such a beautiful process as each season brings forth it own set of moods, feelings and memories of all the same season from the past. I think I look forward to them all nearly equally with perhaps spring and fall being my favorites.
In the spring I look forward to those first warm sunny days when you get that timeless irresistible desire to get outside and enjoy the feel of the warming sun on your face.
Our area is very special because we live in the last climate zone that in my opinion has a true four season change. We have the advantage of having more days of the year that are comfortably warm than our neighbors further north and more distinct falls and winters than our neighbors to the south. Once you get south of Birmingham the fall color is less, much in part due to the lessening hardwood forests which dwindle as you move south, but also the warmer temperatures don't trigger the wonderful color in fall like we have here. We get cold weather and some snow too. From someone who lived much of my life much further north, I can say our seasons go through an equal change in look but we have the advantage of warmer annual temperatures and more warm days in both spring and fall and  in winter too. I prefer living in a climate with four distinct seasons, like ours. Much of my enjoyment each year revolves around the climate changes and the changes in look and feel that each seasonal change evokes.
This time of year as fall foliage begins to fall to the ground and temperatures drop I start getting in the Thanksgiving and Christmas feeling. The thoughts of family times, laughing, good conversations and plenty of food and holiday music always trigger wonderful thoughts of Thanksgivings and Christmas’s of our past.
…so from our house to yours, I wish all of you a blessed and joyous holiday season. Have fun, be safe and eat well.



No comments:

Post a Comment