Friday, May 27, 2011

Proud to be a Rural Southerner! By Kayla Worthey

I was born in Fort Payne, Alabama and raised in Mentone on Lookout Mountain. I went to Moon Lake Elementary School and graduated valedictorian from Valley Head High School. I went on to Northeast Alabama Community College until I moved to Atlanta, Georgia. Atlanta is still in the south, but big cities do not possess that sweet southern charm that the rest of us small towns so proudly boast.

Growing up here, there were a few things that I learned in my adolescent and teen years. People here are friendly. Everyone here waves, weather they know you or not, or at least gives you a raised finger (and no, I don’t mean the middle one either). They speak when they pass you by, it doesn’t matter if they have never met you. And we say yes ma’am and no sir. The recent comradeship after the storms just proves that our communities are families and not just a group of towns.

Now I had a lot of new lessons to learn when I moved to Atlanta. Everyone in the south is not so friendly. But I managed to spread a little of my southern charm to some great friends and my accent earned me the nickname “Bama” by few. At first, I was embarrassed, but quickly learned to be a proud “southerner” and embrace my southern heritage!
While I enjoyed my years learning new cultures and ways of life, refining myself and my palate, when the time came I was glad to be back home. I learned to appreciate our southern lifestyles and our natural surroundings. There is a lot to be said about trees, and grass, and rocks and NOT so much concrete, asphalt and steel. We are so fortunate to live here and I think we take for granted what beautiful lands and natural resources and attractions we have.
I challenge you to show your family DeKalb County and the surrounding areas. Have you or your family ever been to Little River Canyon National Preserve, DeSoto State Park, High Falls Park, Bucks Pocket State Park, Sequoyah Caverns, Fort Payne Depot, the list goes on and on. Did you know that we have a State Scenic Byway right here on Lookout Mountain? There are so many things in our area that we take for granted, or at least I know that I do. Beautiful, natural landscapes surround us every day and we tend to forget that they are so rare.
If you want to show your family the area, visit our website at www.TourDekalb.com or come by our office at the corner of Airport Road and Hwy 35 and we will give you maps and informational materials. We can even help you plan your journey if you like. With so many things to see and do, the possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment