Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Moonlight Bistro in Mentone By Kayla Worthey

My family and I went to dinner last week at the Moonlight Bistro in Mentone. All I can say is DE-LI-CIOUS! In case you don’t know, The Moonlight Bistro used to be the famous “Log Cabin Deli”. Owners Michael Goss and Christine Ballenger bought the restaurant back in August, made some minor changes, did some spring cleaning and voila! The place has a warm and cozy atmosphere, with a wood burning fireplace and candlelit table centers. The staff is very friendly and adds to the total ambiance of the place.
To start us off, we got greedy and ordered two appetizers because we couldn’t decide. The Fried Calamari…tender golden brown rings mingled with fried peppers dipped in succulent sauce…superb; and the Anastasia Island crab dip…warm, served with toasted freshly baked bread, I couldn’t stop eating…to die for. Before we had time for all of that to fully digest, our entrees had arrived.
My husband dined on Lemon Pepper Rainbow Trout with mashed potatoes and pasta salad. Of course I had to try it, just a taste. It was absolutely perfect! I went on the lighter side (wink) and ordered the fried green tomato sandwich. Beer battered and fried perfectly with the most delicious aioli to top it off. I honestly could not put it down. Let me go back a moment and tell you that I was very reluctant to order this meal. Fried anything on bread is not appealing to me, but I LOVE fried green tomatoes, so I had to give it a shot. One of the best decisions I have ever made (in the way of food anyway). It was out of this world!
My children are Kowen, 3 years and Kinsley, 17 months, and they are very pick-and-go eaters. We decided after all the appetizers they could just share a corn dog basket with fries, thinking they would never eat it all. We were wrong! It must have been yummy in their little tummies because there was none left and that never happens! The French fries were very good.
For dessert, we tried the hot fudge cake, one of their delightful homemade treats! Warm, rich, delicious chocolate with ice cream, do I really need to say anything more?
So with that said, our compliments to the chef and his team! We will back again, maybe for lunch next time. On my list are the gourmet chicken salad and Philly Cheese Steak sandwich! And for dessert I must try their deep fried oreos.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I'd had as nice an experience as the diner above. Our visit last night (a Saturday) did not feature candles on tables, and left us feeling quite underserved. It started out by getting our entree before our salads had even been made. "Forget the salad," I said, as I prefer to not have my salad AFTER my mean when I should be enjoying dessert! I ordered the "special of the night," filet tips with fried green tomatoes and baked potato. Even though I asked for the meat to be cooked medium-rare, it came well done and was only barely lukewarm. The waiter apologized for not bringing the salads in a timely manner saying he was "slammed," but there was only one other diner in the restaurant. How can you be slammed when you only have two tables occupied?? I found $11 for a (rather small serving) appetizer to be a little on the high side, as was $25 for a filet mignon. Won't be spending my hard-earned dollars here again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry your experience was not so pleasant. I hope you contacted the owner or manager to voice your concerns. I assure you they would want to hear your feedback!

    ReplyDelete